Caroline Flack’s family releases unpublished statement she wrote before death

Caroline Flack penned a statement before she died which remained unpublished, which her family has now chosen to release.

The 40-year-old was found dead in her east London home on Saturday 15 February with a lawyer for the presenter confirming Caroline died by suicide.

It came 18 days before she was set to face trial after being charged with assault following an incident with boyfriend Lewis Burton. She had denied the charges while Lewis had pushed for the charges to be dropped.

Now Caroline’s family has released an unpublished Instagram post she wrote before she died in which she said her arrest for assaulting her boyfriend meant ‘within 24 hours my whole world and future was swept from under my feet and all the walls that I had taken so long to build around me, collapsed’.

In late January Caroline said she’d be releasing her side of the story, however she changed her mind.

The family has released her statement through the Eastern Daily Express, and in it Caroline insisted she ‘took responsibility for what happened that night’ but said it had been an accident and she ‘was NOT a domestic abuser.’

‘For a lot of people, being arrested for common assault is an extreme way to have some sort of spiritual awakening but for me it’s become the normal,’ her statement began. ‘I’ve been pressing the snooze button on many stresses in my life – for my whole life. I’ve accepted shame and toxic opinions on my life for over 10 years and yet told myself it’s all part of my job. No complaining.’

She continued that the ‘problem with brushing things under the carpet’ is that one day someone will reveal them and she’d be left feeling ‘shame and embarrassment’.

Caroline wrote that following her arrest on the 12 December her ‘whole world and future was swept from under my feet and all the walls that I had taken so long to build around me, collapsed’.

She wrote: ‘I have always taken responsibility for what happened that night. Even on the night. But the truth is …. It was an accident.’

Saying she had been having ‘some sort of emotional breakdown for a very long time’, Caroline insisted she was not a domestic abuser as she explained what happened that night, repeating it was an accident.

Addressing the photo of a bloodied bedroom which was reported to be of Lewis’ blood – something he vehemently denied – following the incident, Caroline described the leaking of the photo ‘very sad and very personal’.

‘The reason I am talking today is because my family can’t take anymore. I’ve lost my job. My home. My ability to speak. And the truth has been taken out of my hands and used as entertainment,’ Caroline wrote. ‘I can’t spend every day hidden away being told not to say or speak to anyone.’

Caroline Flack’s full statement

‘For a lot of people, being arrested for common assault is an extreme way to have some sort of spiritual awakening but for me it’s become the normal.

‘I’ve been pressing the snooze button on many stresses in my life – for my whole life. I’ve accepted shame and toxic opinions on my life for over 10 years and yet told myself it’s all part of my job. No complaining.

‘The problem with brushing things under the carpet is …. they are still there and one day someone is going to lift that carpet up and all you are going to feel is shame and embarrassment.

‘On December the 12th 2019 I was arrested for common assault on my boyfriend …Within 24 hours my whole world and future was swept from under my feet and all the walls that I had taken so long to build around me, collapsed. I am suddenly on a different kind of stage and everyone is watching it happen.

‘I have always taken responsibility for what happened that night. Even on the night. But the truth is …. It was an accident.

‘But I am NOT a domestic abuser. We had an argument and an accident happened. An accident. The blood that someone SOLD to a newspaper was MY blood and that was something very sad and very personal.

‘The reason I am talking today is because my family can’t take anymore. I’ve lost my job. My home. My ability to speak. And the truth has been taken out of my hands and used as entertainment.

‘I can’t spend every day hidden away being told not to say or speak to anyone.

‘I’m so sorry to my family for what I have brought upon them and for what my friends have had to go through.

‘I’m not thinking about ‘how I’m going to get my career back.’ I’m thinking about how I’m going to get mine and my family’s life back.

‘I can’t say anymore than that.’

Caroline was banned from speaking with Lewis before her December trial, which was then upheld meaning she wasn’t able to contact her boyfriend until at least the March trial.

The Love Island presenter ended her statement by apologising to her family ‘for what I have brought upon them and for what my friends have had to go through’.

She said she wasn’t thinking about ‘how I’m going to get my career back,’ but ‘how I’m going to get mine and my family’s life back’.

On 30 January Caroline wrote on her Instagram story: ‘I’m going to speak today… mine and my families life is no longer up for entertainment and gossip [sic].’

Caroline mother Christine told the publication when releasing the statement: ‘Carrie sent me this message at the end of January but was told not to post it by advisers but she so wanted to have her little voice heard.

‘So many untruths were out there but this is how she felt and my family and I would like people to read her own words.’

Following her death on Saturday, hours after learning her trial for assault would go ahead, Caroline’s management slammed the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for what they deemed a ‘show trial’.

An inquest into Caroline’s death will begin at 10am today, 19 February at Poplar Coroner’s Court